Thursday, July 10, 2014

Newborn Mentoring Session / Shannon Morton Photography / Amanda Dorris Newborn Photography

I did it!  I finally took a workshop!!!!

I knew that if I wanted to improve my craft, I needed to take it up a notch and attend a workshop.  There are SOOOO many options out there it is hard to find one that is close to home and is going to offer the most learning potential in a short amount of time. 

I began following Shannon’s beautiful work a little over a year ago.  

https://www.facebook.com/ShannonMortonPhotography


Her images are so consistently beautiful and I have admired her style.  She is also a mother of three (and so am I) so I knew I needed to meet her and pick her brain and see how she does it.  What I discovered is that she is a true master who has practiced and perfected her craft. 

The first night I met Shannon for dinner so we could chat and get to know each other.  She was so sweet, fun and extremely easy to talk to.  We had fun laughing, swapping stories and sharing about my journey as a photographer.  We also discussed my style, some goals and what I hoped to accomplish from the weekend with her.  This was huge!  She really listened to my needs and she truly designed the weekend around what I hoped to learn. 

We then went to a local coffee shop (YUM!) and we talked business and editing.  Shannon is not only an amazing photographer but she is an AWESOME businesswoman.  She knows her stuff!  She helped me with so many aspects of how to run my business. 

The next morning we met early, she discussed with me the studio set-up, lighting, how to prepare parents for the session and a little about her workflow (this was life changing for me!).  She also helped me get my camera set for the session.  Then our first baby arrived.  Shannon walked me through how to get started and then I watched her as she posed and soothed the baby and the angles to use while shooting.  She would look at the back of my camera as I shot and help me to get it the best it could be.  She was very patient.  Finally we took the baby outside for an awesome outdoor shot in her beautiful backyard. 


 


***These three images were posed and styled by Shannon 
but photographed and edited by me.***


After the first session was over, we stopped for a lunch break and to discuss the first session.  Shannon also let me style the second session.  I was able to pick the hats, posing fabric and then the final prop at the end.  And then baby #2 arrived.  It was so awesome to see how Shannon talked with the parents to make them feel the most comfortable as possible.  Then it was my turn.  Shannon stood close and coached me as I posed the baby into the most peaceful positions.  She would remind me of all the details to notice to help me perfect it.  She was also building up my confidence, encouraging me to not give up and that is exactly what I needed at that moment.  With her encouragement and coaching I was able to confidently pose and photograph this sweet baby.  I was so proud of myself.

****These are the ones I posed and shot and edited (along with Shannon coaching of course!)****














After the session, we debriefed, she answered my final questions and showed me a little about what she does after the shoot.  This information was extremely valuable  too. 



I feel so honored to have had this opportunity.  Shannon was such a natural teacher and I learned so much more than I had hoped.  I know that my photography and my business will be greatly impacted by her.  I am so thankful for my husband making it possible and watching the kids all weekend so I could go and for Shannon for being an awesome mentor and now friend.  I could not imagine doing a workshop with anyone else. 

Any newborn photographers who are interested in a workshop but are not sure if it is worth it, let me tell you….IT IS!!!! You will not be disappointed and choosing Shannon Morton will be THE BEST thing you can do for your business.  Not only is she awesome at posing babies, she is a natural teacher and an amazing businesswoman who is full of knowledge and willing to share! 

Till next time....





No comments:

Post a Comment